Advertisement

Asia | Asian Appropriate Sign

Asia | Asian Appropriate Sign Special thanks to Deaf Asians all over the world in solidarity for participating in this video. Video Part 2 will come soon! ❤️

Video Transcript:
Hi everyone! My name is Lily *signed name* and I am Hong Kongese / Chinese American. I want to let some of you know that I don’t like it when some people do “pulling eyes”. That sign is offensive and racism, so I want some people to understand the appropriate sign for Asian is “Asian”. Asian sign is both ASL and International sign. I know there are different sign languages for “Asian” and I respect that of course. Different sign languages are beautiful! If you rather use your own country's sign language for "Asian" then please use the appropriate sign without "pulling eyes". It doesn’t matter to me what Asian sign your country uses, but “pulling eyes” is not appropriate and it’s wrong and it doesn’t define us Asians. I am not sure if I am the only one who thinks that way, that’s why I have interviewed Asian people from different countries and asked them for their opinion on “pulling eyes” and to see if it’s racism to them or not. I hope you will understand how we feel about this. Please respect the deaf Asian community by signing appropriately. Thank you for watching us! Please spread this awareness because it’s important to us! 🤟🏼

Appropriate

Post a Comment

0 Comments